사이트 내 전체검색
뉴스  
국제

[국제]모하멛 알리 75세로 운명: 인종차별, 전쟁반대한 미국 첫 모슬렘 영웅

페이지 정보

작성자 편집실 작성일16-06-05 02:54 조회4,623회 댓글1건

본문

[사진]1964년 3월1일 뉴욕극장앞서 미국민권운동 지도자,말콤 엑스(왼쪽)와 함께 찍은 모아메드 알리

[로스엔젤레스=민족통신 노길남 편집인]인종차별을 반대해오며 세계적인 권투선수로 이름날렸던 '알리'가 향년 75세로 운명하자 미국내 언론들을 비롯하여 세계 언론들은 그에 대한 이야기들을 소개하고 있다. 그는 올림픽 대회와 프로권투세계에서 제황의 위치에 활약한바 있었고, 미국의 진보인물의 상징이었던 말콤 엑스와 기독교 민권운동가 마틴 루터킹 목사와도 친분이 있었던 인물이다. 

알리와 맬콤맥스19740917자이레.jpg

알리와 맬콤맥스19740917자이레01.jpg

알리와 맬콤맥스19751001필리핀.jpg

[국제]모하멛 알리 75세로 운명: 

인종차별, 전쟁반대한 미국 첫 모슬렘 영웅

그는 60년대와 70년대에 세계적인 권투선수로 이름떨치면서 인종차별 반대, 모슬람교 첫 영웅으로 활약하다가 1984년 파킨슨병에 걸려 32년동안이나 치료를 받아 왔으나 회복되지 못하고 세상을 떠났다. 그는 체육선수인 동시에 인종차별 반대운동가였으며 인종차별주의자들에 의해 암살당한 미 흑인계 지도자들이었던 말콤 엑스와 마틴 루터 킹과의 관계도 돈독한 그야말로 전설적인 인물로 꼽아왔다. 

그는 1942년 켄터키 주 루이빌에서 태어났다. 그의  본명은 캐시어스 마셀러스 클레이 주니어였고 모하멛 알리는 모슬렘교 신자가 되면서 갖게된 이름이다. 그의 성장과정은 가난과 차별, 멸시와 탄압 속에서 어린시절을 보낸 흑인으로 미국사회의 모순들을 뼈저리게 느끼며 살아 온 인물들 중 한 사람이다. 

사춘기가 시작되던 10대초에 아마추어 권투선수로 활약하기 시작했던 알리는 드디어 1960년 로마올림픽에서 영광의 골드메달(금메달)을 쟁취하면서 그의 명성은 전세계에 알려졌다.

이러한 시기에 미국의 흑인 민권운동진영 지도자들인 맬컴 엑스를 만나게 되어 이슬람교로 개종하고 그의  이름을 무하마드 알리로 쓰기 시작했다.  그의 아마추어 명성은 다시 프로권투세계로 옮겨갔다. 프로세계에서도 초반에 무려  3차례에 걸쳐 헤비급 챔피언의 영예를 쟁취했다. 이 우승자의 자리를 지키는데에도 무려 19번 방어전을 승리로 이끌어 1960년대에서 1984년 파킨슨병에 거리기 전까지는 프로권투세계에서는 그의 실력을 추종하는 인물이 없을 정도로 세계적 권투선수로 자리매김 해왔던 세기적 인물이었다. 

그는 또한 1960년대 중반 베트남 전쟁 참가통지서를 받았으나 이를 거부하고 반전평화의 소리를 외친 반전평화적 철학을 지닌 운동선수로 밝혀지자 1967년 프로권투계에서 선수권 타이틀들을 박탁당하는가 하면 프로선수로서의 자격권마져 빼앗기는 수난을 받은 적도 있었다. 그 이후 3년만인 1970년 그 수난을 극복시키고 프로권투세계에 다시 들어와 활동했다. 그는 특히 1974년 또다른 흑인 권투선수인, 조지 포먼과 세계타이틀 경기를 통해 그를 경기 중반에 쓸어트려 세계 챔피언의 영예를 회복했다. 연합뉴스는 그의 프로 통산 전적을  56승(37KO) 5패라고 소개했다. 

연합뉴스 기자는 그와 관련하여 "나비처럼 날아서 벌처럼 쏘겠다(Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee)"는 그가 1964년 2월 25일 마이애미비치 컨벤션 홀에서 WBA/WBC통합 챔피언인 소니 리스턴에게 도전해 승리하기 전 인터뷰에서 한 말로, 복싱의 전설이 된 그를 늘 따라다닌 수식어였다."고 소개하며 "그는 화려했던 복서 생활은 물론이고 인종차별과 싸운 복서로서도 많은 일화를 남겼다."고 설명하기도 했다. 

그는 또 1960년 로마올림픽에서 금메달을 딴 뒤 식당에서 인종차별을 당하자 메달을 강에 던져버렸다고 한다. 국제올림픽위원회(IOC)는 1996년 애틀랜타올림픽 남자 농구 결승전 하프타임 때 그에게 다시 금메달을 수여했다고 기록되어 있다.

고인은 7남 2녀를 두고 있다. 알리는 1986년 재혼한 4번째 부인 로니와 함께 최근 피닉스 인근에서 특별한 외부활동 없이 조용히 나날을 보내오다가 인근 병원에서 운명한것으로 전해졌다. 
그의 사망소식과 함께 알리에 대한 이러저런 일화들을 미국의  언론, THe Beast 6월4일자는 다음과 같이 보도하고 있다. 참고로 이 보도의 영어 원문을 여기에 소개한다.

Ali: America’s First Muslim Hero

알리와 맬콤맥스19640301뉴욕극장앞.jpg
 World Heavyweight Boxing Champion, Muhammad Ali, right, is shown with Black Muslim Leader, Malcolm X, outside the Trans-Lux Newsreel Theater on Broadway at 49th Street, New York City, March 1, 1964. They had just watched a screening…

No community will miss Muhammad Ali more than Muslim Americans. Why do I say that?  Simple: Ali was more than a sports figure or a celebrity to our community.  He was a source of pride to so many Muslim Americans for so many different reasons.

On a personal note, I had an opportunity to meet Ali when I performed stand-up comedy at the Arab American Institute’s annual gala in 2004 where Ali was receiving a lifetime achievement award. Ali gave a speech that night was touching, inspiring and funny. While he spoke at a slower pace than the Ali who boasted he could “float like a butterfly, sting like a bee,” the three-time champion was still riveting.  He shared some jokes and noted that when he converted to Islam and changed his name from Cassius Clay, he felt as if Muslims worldwide had become his brothers.

Ali’s spiritual journey to Islam began in 1964 when, with the mentorship of his then close friend Malcolm X, he joined the Nation of Islam. At the time NOI was more focused on being a black nationalistic movement and less about following the tenets of mainstream Islam.

But by 1975, Ali left NOI and became a part of Sunni Islam, the most popular sect of the religion. In 1989, Ali went on a pilgrimage to Mecca, fulfilling one of the five pillars of Islam.  And in 2005, as his daughter explained, Ali embraced Sufi Islam, which is a more spiritual sect of the faith.

But Ali was right in that he had become a brother to Muslims worldwide after he converted. I saw that firsthand when I reached out to a diverse group of Muslim Americans from a member of Congress to a TV host to community activists to get their reaction to Ali’s death.

Indonesian-born and now New York City-based Imam Shamsi Ali shared a sentiment felt by many: that Ali was “our hero and our pride.… not only a boxing champion, but also a hero of social justice and human equality.”

Congressman Andre Carson (D-Ind.), who like Ali converted to Islam as an adult, commented that “Muhammad Ali served as an example of service and self-sacrifice for generations of Muslim Americans.”

Others like comedian and activist Maysoon Zayid, who has cerebral palsy, admired Ali, who suffered from Parkinson’s, for another reason: “Muhammad Ali was my first disabled role model.” She added, “the fact he was a champ and Muslim just made me love him more.”

To many African-American Muslims I spoke with, Ali offered a connection in terms of both faith and race.  Kameelah Rashad, the Muslim chaplain at the University of Pennsylvania remarked, “as descendants of enslaved Africans, great individuals like Muhammad Ali remind us of the enduring resilience, faith and joy of our ancestors.” Rashad noted poignantly, “Ali remains for me a symbol of what it means to be unapologetically Black and Muslim in America.”

Comedian Preacher Moss declared that “Muhammad Ali was is in the lineage of Malcolm X and MLK.  He was truly a shining and enduring example of Black Manhood.”

And Margari Aziza, co-founder of the Muslim Anti-Racism Collaborative, learned about Ali’s Muslim faith while learning more about her own black identity. Aziza noted, “To have such a central figure in American sports history be unabashedly Black and Muslim meant so much for so many of us.”  She also credited Ali for helping Americans become more accustomed to the name Mohammad.  Aziza noted the fact his name was Muhammad “made the lives of kids in America whose parents named them Muhammad a little easier.”

Other Muslim Americans praised Ali for his daring stand in 1967 of refusing to fight in Vietnam War citing his “consciousness as a Muslim minister and my own personal convictions.” Consequently, Ali’s heavyweight title was stripped and he was criminally prosecuted.

Ali, said Dawud Walid, a U.S. Navy veteran and currently the head of CAIR’s Detroit office, “stood for his religious principles when it was extremely unpopular during the Vietnam War era, literally sacrificing his boxing title and wealth to oppose unjust bloodshed.”

Salam Al-Marayati, president of the Muslim Public Affairs Council echoed that sentiment noting that Ali’s “heroism was not just demonstrated in the boxing ring, but it was also seen in his stand against the Vietnam War.” Adding, “That is the hero I will always remember. That is the American Muslim who is an example for all Americans.”

Even Muslims who didn’t grow up in the United States felt a connection to Ali. For example, MSNBC anchor and NBC News Foreign Correspondent Ayman Mohyeldin, who was born and raised in Egypt explained that, “Even before I moved to the US, I was always inspired by Muhammad Ali the boxer.”  Mohyeldin added, “But the more time I spent in America growing up, the more I was inspired by Muhammad Ali, the person. He has reminded us all the power of standing up for our beliefs and fighting for our convictions despite the hate and in the face of so much misunderstandings and challenges.”

Many, including myself, had wished so many times that Ali would have been physically strong enough in the post 9/11 world to have served as a more visible leader in the fight against anti-Muslim bigotry.  True in December Ali released a statement slamming Donald Trump’s proposed ban of over one billion from Muslims from entering the United States.

But if Ali had been able to deliver that statement and others like it with his unique flair and charisma, it could’ve had a great impact in countering misconceptions about Muslims.  In fact, in his 2005 book, “The Soul of a Butterfly,” Ali revealed that he had wanted to become the “Muslim Billy Graham” but his Parkinson made that impossible. Who knows what Ali could’ve accomplished in terms of building bridges between American Muslims and the rest of our nation if he had been healthy after hanging up his gloves.

Ali was truly the greatest in the ring. But to Muslims, he was more than that. He was our brother.

• 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기
  • 구글플러스로 보내기

댓글목록

멋진인생님의 댓글

멋진인생 작성일

삼가 고인의 명복을 빕니다~!!!! 무함마드 알리 당신을 영원히 잊지않을겁니다~!!!!

회원로그인

[부고]노길남 박사
노길남 박사 추모관
조선문학예술
조선중앙TV
추천홈페이지
우리민족끼리
자주시보
사람일보
재미동포전국연합회
한겨레
경향신문