남북공동선언 관철하여 조국통일 이룩하자!
사이트 내 전체검색
뉴스  

korea

Kim Soobok: WAR EXPERIENCE, THAAD and US Bases in Korea

페이지 정보

작성자 편집실 작성일17-12-10 04:47 조회2,072회 댓글0건

본문

Soobok Kim, an activist for peace in Korean Peninsula delivers a speech on his war 

experience, THAAD and U.S.military bases in South Korea on Dec.8,2017 at a meeting

of PSC International Committee of CUNY. The text of his speech is as the following:        

김수복뉴욕대담04.jpg

김수복뉴욕대담02.jpg

김수복뉴욕대담.jpg

김수복뉴욕대담01.jpg

WAR EXPERIENCE, THAAD and US Bases in Korea

*By Soobok Kim

I am honored I could speak to you today. 

I don't have an academic background in this subjects. I am a concerned citizen looking for better future. I participate rather often Cuban events. I always envied their English language of the speakers. Please accept the barrier.

The Korean war broke in June,1950 when I was 5 years old. I was one of 6 children my single mother was taking care of.

One month after the war broke, on a hot  summer day of July, 1950, US airplane started air stripes over my town in the middle of South Korea. Low flying jet airplanes waive generated ear breaking noise, thunder storm lightening, fires balls flying all around. Bomb blasted all over. Screaming for help in the thick smoke. 

My mother was busy putting down fire by spreading bucket water over.  When she felt the monster airplanes were gone, she found her 3 kids laid down in bloody floor with no motion. They were hit by air strip. My sister was 2 years old and elder one was 8.

No medicine neither hospital was available in the mist of war. My mother put smashed pumpkin over the scars for 1st aid. Pumpkins and grape vines were growing at the corner of the house. 

Since the air stripe whenever I hear airplane approaching, I hid under bl,anket or jump into a big jar. Korean houses kept big jars for water or grain storage purpose at the old days. So we survived the hard years. Much later, my elder sister died of lead poison, I guess because machine gun bullet was never removed from her thigh.

I was drafted in 1967. I was lucky I could avoid dispatching to Vietnam. On February, 1968, I was on the way home in bus for short leave. Military Police stopped the bus and took military personals out of bus and return them back to their unit with no explanation. I realized later US ship Pueblo captured by North Korea. All soldiers in camp were get ready to retaliate North Korea barbarism. We slept with combat boots on.

Many years later, I became to know the Pueblo infiltrated North Korean water at night for spy mission disguising as civilian vessel. The Pueblo navy vessel is displayed at War Victory Memorial Museum in Pyongyang.

Military Base:

They say more than 100 military bases are in South Korea. I guess no one knows exactly how many US bases in South Korea. The biggest and maybe the most luxury as well US overseas base built  in South Korea. They confronted farmers and activists desperate protests for years. Armored police forces and even tear gas spreading helicopters were mobilized to confiscate the land from farmers.  Farmers lost their generations long peaceful rice field to US. 98% of construction cost paid by South Korean government. The cost was 10 billion dollar. This is Camp Humphrey at PyongTaek.

Another large base is sitting in the middle of South Korean capital. Yongsan military base. US took it from surrendering Japanese imperialist. This is very symbolic occurrence describing  South Korean modern history. Ownership changed from Japan to USA.

Some of you may remember Kangjung naval base. South Korea insisted it is for South Korean naval base to defend North Korea. South Korean government denied many dubious construction designs from the beginning. Its breakwater construction destroyed one of the most beautiful coral reef in the country and several endangered species. 

Now we know it is for US naval facility aiming at rather China. South Korea doesn't need it for North Korean naval attack.      

THAAD anti missile system:

THAAD is hot issue for past 2 years in South Korea. THAAD stands for Terminal High Altitude Area Defense missile system. US developed this system to destroy incoming enemy missiles at the terminal stage of missile trajectory. 

It became sensitive issue because it's radar system including China and Russia.

US moved THAAD equipment last September to South Korea to protect South Korea from North Korean missile attacks. 

South Korean defense minister said in the parliament it is not planning US THAAD installation in Korea. Peaceful Candlight protests gained a momentum in downtown Seoul last year. People demanded impeachment for president Park. While her job suspended and impeachment decided at South Korean court. 

Deputy prime minister at overnight approved for THAAD to install in a private golf course at Sungjoo village. It violates South Korean environmental law. President candidate Moon Jaein kept saying THAAD installation is against law during his candidacy. In addition he emphasized he will visit North Korea first before president Trump. Koreans had big hope for another spring coming once Moon be elected overcoming American distort.

However once he elected, he met president Trump and approved THAAD installation. In addition, he signed multibillion dollar military equipment purchase agreement with US. 

China retaliated economically. They stopped Chinese tour business to South Korea. Chinese citizens boycotting Hyundai automobiles and others.

US and South Korean government exaggerated the effectiveness of THAAD as well.

There are 3 stages of missile trajectory. Boosting, Middle and Terminal stages.  As the word saying, this system is planning to shoot incoming enemy missile at the terminal stage. US can destroy North Korean missile over Alaska by theory.  Seoul and Pyongyang is too close each other. it is only 121 miles away. South Korean capital Seoul can't be protected by THAAD system.

Sungju people still protesting every week front of the THAAD battery. 

US insists its radar system will not hurt Chinese interest. It is very dubious because the radar is capable to reach China and Russia far beyond North Korean territory.

China warned besides economic retaliation, a first strike option to Sungju radar facility may be considered  if necessary. 

THAAD contributed to make worse to the worst in already dangerous military confrontation in the region.  South Korea brought fire balls into their living room.

South Korea added one more THAAD base in South Korea this year.  

KOREAN DIVISION-Two Korea One Future

I want to talk about Korean Division if time permit.

After nuclear bomb dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 1945. Russia declared war against Japan.  Japan surrendered to Alliance Forces. 

Russia shares border with Korea. Russian army can move to Korea in a matter of hours. In the meantime U.S. Army closest to Korea was in Okinawa at the time. It will take a month to arrive in Korea. US worried Russia can occupy all Korean peninsula before US army's arrival.  They worried to lose Korean peninsula to Russia.

August 10, 1945, Deputy Secretary Ethison, offered Korea division by half and half along 38th parallel and Russia surprisingly accepted the offer. This is the origin of Korea division lasting for 72 years long against Korean people's wish. US is accountable for the division with lion's share after Russia.

Millions of families separated and lived with broken heart. Father in South Korea can't meet brother and sisters in North Korea. Mother in North Korea wants to hug son or daughter in South Korea. Forced separation is very inhumane. It is crime. It is human being's emotion to see son daughter brother mother or father before dying. 

Family Separation by any power is one of the serious crime.

This is current Korean situation. We Korean American will do the best to improve and reunite Korea eventually.   

We urge the U.S. government is responsible for the division and now resolve tensions and conflicts on the Korean peninsula by diplomacy and dialogue with North Korea. We demand PEACE TREATY now with North Korea.

I need your support and solidarity form all of you peace loving people.

Thank you

Recommend for your reference-Video Clip

Apr 27, 2017  Would THAAD Protect South Korea?

https://youtu.be/AdM8cyWYXoY

May 13, 2017 Ted Postol on  THAAD in South Korea

https://youtu.be/wPZeXJPJmUA

• 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기
  • 구글플러스로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

회원로그인

[부고]노길남 박사
노길남 박사 추모관
조선문학예술