페이지 정보작성자 편집실 작성일17-07-22 22:04 조회720회 댓글1건
U.S. to Bar Americans From Traveling to North Korea
By DAVID E. SANGERJULY 21, 2017
ASPEN, Colo. — The Trump administration said on Friday that it would bar Americans from traveling to North Korea, a month after the death of Otto F. Warmbier, a 22-year-old college student from Ohio who was arrested while trying to leave the country and returned to his parents, more than a year later, in a coma.
The announcement came only hours after Mike Pompeo, the director of the C.I.A., strongly hinted that the United States was considering seeking a regime change in North Korea. Mr. Pompeo told an audience at the Aspen Security Forum on Thursday night that President Trump had ordered him to come up with options that would “separate the capacity” to build and deliver nuclear weapons from “someone who might well have intent,”a clear reference to Kim Jong-un, the country’s leader.
Mr. Pompeo was pressed several times in an interview here on Thursday evening conducted by Bret Stephens, a New York Times columnist, about what he meant by that phrase, and whether it was code for regime change. Mr. Pompeo would not utter that phrase, saying instead, “As for the regime, I am hopeful we will find a way to separate that regime from these” missiles and nuclear weapons.
C.I.A. officials noted that Mr. Pompeo’s language was deliberately ambiguous, and that there were ways to “separate” Mr. Kim from his arsenal without overthrowing the government. Mr. Pompeo, when pressed on the point, noted that there were risks if Mr. Kim left office, because it was unclear who might succeed him.
But his statement did not exactly echo how Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson has talked about the administration’s approach to North Korea. In April, Mr. Tillerson said: “Our goal is not regime change. Nor do we desire to threaten the North Korean people or destabilize the Asia Pacific region.”
North Korea Tour Options Dwindle for Americans. But Not by Much. JUNE 23, 2017
Dangerous Exploits: Otto Warmbier and the Risks of Travel to North Korea JUNE 22, 2017
Otto Warmbier, American Student Released From North Korea, Dies JUNE 19, 2017
While the State Department has long warned Americans about the risks of detention in the North — leading to high-drama cases in which the United States has sent former presidents, intelligence chiefs and special envoys to win the release of detainees — it has not previously banned all travel. The new rules will allow for a special certification, granted at the State Department’s discretion, for Americans seeking to enter the country on aid missions or in other special circumstances.
The ban was expected to be announced formally next Thursday, a major holiday in North Korea, and go into effect 30 days later, to allow any Americans in the country to leave. Heather Nauert, a State Department spokeswoman, said in a statement that once the ban is in effect, “U.S. passports will be invalid for travel to, through and in North Korea, and individuals will be required to obtain a passport with a special validation in order to travel to or within North Korea.”
How much a travel ban will hurt the North is unclear, since not many Americans travel there. But some North Korea experts have been urging the ban for some time, as a way both to squeeze the government and to prevent other Americans from being taken prisoner.
“It’s important to stop the flow of cash and prospective hostages into North Korea, especially after the recent death of Otto Warmbier,” said Evans J.R. Revere, a former State Department official who specializes in North Korea.
None of the three Americans who are known to remain in prison in North Korea were tourists. All three are Korean-Americans, and two of them worked at Pyongyang University of Science and Technology, teaching the children of the country’s elite.
Mr. Pompeo’s discussion of how the president had given him and the Defense Department the task of coming up with ways to undermine the missile program omitted any discussion of opening negotiations with the North, as South Korea, China and Russia have urged. During the Obama administration, the C.I.A. and the Pentagon were deeply involved in a sabotage program to use cyber- and electronic-warfare techniques to destroy the North’s missiles just before, or in the early moments of, tests.
But after a long string of failures, the North has been more successful in the last eight months or so, using missiles that employ different fuels and other technologies.
In light of the news that the United States plans to bar tourists from traveling to North Korea, we want to hear from people who have recently visited the notoriously reclusive nation. We may publish a selection of the responses.
Required fields are marked with an asterisk.