Memorial Concert for Professor Ahn (1928-2013) > korea

본문 바로가기
영문뉴스 보기
2024년 4월 19일
남북공동선언 관철하여 조국통일 이룩하자!
사이트 내 전체검색
뉴스  

korea

Memorial Concert for Professor Ahn (1928-2013)

페이지 정보

작성자 최고관리자 작성일14-03-04 11:27 조회4,694회 댓글0건

본문

Memorial Concert for Professor Ahn (1928-2013)   

By  Jac C. Baek

1-ahnyk-daughter.jpg

1-ahnyk01.jpg

He was my email friend.  I was not able to obtain invitation until I read in the paper.  When I called, his wife told me to pick up an envelope at the admission desk.  It is Sunday afternoon, snow melting, sun is warm, air chilly cold.

He is known violinist and a teacher in Peabody Conservatory for years.  He tutored many renowned violinists, Korean Americans, students from other parts of the U.S., and as far as Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan.  He was a truly humanistic teacher who had one keen eyes on the student's capability, passion, and on the other to their efforts and lead them to the world of music: a goal of make a living.

During his later years he has been involved in a political interest of North and South Korean unification movement. The South Korean government feared his strong assertion two countries should accept each other in peace toward unification. He paved the way to bring New York and Philadelphia concert orchestra to Pyongyang theatre in North Korea.

From the eulogy, I was further persuaded of professor Ahn's belief, life, human efforts, struggle and achievement, an extra ordinary soul as the speaker summarized: l) As a violinist and musician, he transcended his music into life experience, 2) He has been very persistent seeking Western music education in Korea during his study in Seoul National University, and by going overseas to learn from the best violinist Odnoposoff in Germany.  In spite of his neglected childhood and physical handicap and turbulent time of Korea, his perseverance is hardly comparable to none.  Thirdly he believed in harmonizing the odds, not isolating each other in the name of security.

I was almost choking at an image of this body of huge power with violin in his hands dragging a polio victimized leg on to the stage.  He never ceased to fight for his causes visiting several times to his native land North Korea with musicians and personal family visits after his retirement. 

The concert was well organized with Massenet, Schumann, Beethoven, Mozart and Schubert. Their works for the strings: violin, viola, cello and harp, a quartet in the program explained the choice from his studies in Munich, Salzburg, and Vienna. He loved chamber music and formed several.  Violinist David Kim epitomized his teacher in skill and meticulous performances. 

Unlike Beethoven and Mozart, his personal life was steady and principled with a strong wife.  His three children, two were on the stage, viola and cello, and a son multitalented helped memoir and now “My Sorrows, My Joys”, a must read book. 

Often, human efforts fail miserable, his spirit and fight however remain in us and will carry on. I am convinced because his cause is too beautiful and sincere.  God will hear us even if time lingers on.  Through music his life has been colorful and heroic amidst of us.  His interests diverse, his understanding deep and wide, we will miss his great influences.   Likewise the concert was a celebration of his life beyond memory of him.

I missed his invitation to his home when he will play “Trout” for the visitors.  Viva classics.  He loved people.
  • 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기
  • 구글플러스로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

회원로그인

[부고]노길남 박사
노길남 박사 추모관
조선문학예술
조선중앙TV
추천홈페이지
우리민족끼리