남북공동선언 관철하여 조국통일 이룩하자!
사이트 내 전체검색
뉴스  

korea

Kim Mi-hwa prepares for legal battle with KBS

페이지 정보

작성자 Lee Moon-yeong 작성일10-07-20 22:42 조회1,452회 댓글0건

본문

Broadcaster Kim Mi-hwa, who is being sued by KBS over her “blacklist” remarks on Twitter, presented a document Monday to bolster her claims and announced that she would “fight to the bitter end.” KBS immediately responded, calling her charges “preposterous.” Kim previously alleged through a post on Twitter that she has been banned from appearances on KBS due the station’s political blacklisting practices.

Just before reporting to Yeongdeungpo Police Station on Monday morning, Kim held a press conference at the Marriott Hotel in Yeouido where she produced a copy of “Executive Meeting Decisions,” a document drafted by KBS on April 5 and sent down to the production sites.

“Due to a series of incidents in which controversial narrators have appeared on certain programs, there are questions about whether proper gatekeeping is taking place,” the document states. “In the case of programs where narrators carry a significant weight, it would be desirable for proper individuals to be selected through the formation of a narrator selection committee.”

Kim had been the narrator for the episode of “Docu. Three Days” that aired the day before the executive meeting.

After the political blacklisting controversy flared up within and outside the company immediately following the meeting, based on factors such as this document, the KBS management explained that it had merely noted the “artificiality of rhythm and pronunciation and the inaccuracy of spacing” in Kim’s narration.

A written rebuttal produced by KBS after Kim’s press conference Monday stated, “The expression ‘controversial narrator’ was in reference to her basic capabilities as a narrator, not to any ideological or political controversy, and it is preposterous that this document is being presented as a ‘blacklist’ targeting a certain individual.”

An official with the new KBS union said, “It is difficult to comprehend why the company would repeatedly state that the reason was purely Kim’s capabilities as a narrator, when there is a widespread awareness within the company that they were not letting her on the air for political reasons.”

The “Executive Meeting Decisions” also included a reference to an interview with Bongeun Temple head monk Venerable Myeongjin that took place on a KBS program. Venerable Myeongjin had previously accused the ruling Grand National Party (GNP) including newly-elected Chairman Ahn Sang-soo of intervening in Buddhist administrative affairs.

“There were comments during the deliberation that it was inappropriate to air an interview with a monk who is at the center of a controversy,” the document also stated. “We believe that objective casting is necessary.”

A KBS producer said, “In addition to Venerable Myeongjin, Korea Parents’ Association President Park Chan-sung, someone who has exhibited far-right behavior, also appeared on the program, but there was no mention about that.”

Meanwhile, Kim said during her press conference that KBS employees first raised the issue in April, and that she learned about the blacklist from the media.

“If the people do not allow me into broadcasting because I lack talent, I can understand that, but I posted what I did because I was upset that I could not understand what their basis was in saying that,” Kim said. “I heard that I had become a kind of persona non grata because of the ‘Executive Meeting Decisions’ document.”

Kim explained KBS’s immediate response.

“In the morning, I wrote a short piece to express how miserable I felt, and KBS threatened me that day through various channels and immediately filed a defamation lawsuit,” she continued. “I clearly communicated to KBS on many occasions that there was no need to proceed with a lawsuit, but now things have come to this.”

Kim added, “If the kind of personal venting I put up on Twitter that day is a crime in the Republic of Korea, I will gladly wear handcuffs.”

Kim also said that it is “not desirable for our society to separate popular entertainers into sides” and released her pent-up feelings about her mislabeling as a “leftist.”

“When Roh Moo-hyun was a National Assembly member, the producer in charge at SBS arranged for him to appear with me on a comedy program, and an article came out saying that we had been participating in politics together since 1992,” Kim recalled.

“During the 2002 presidential election, announcer Han Sun-kyo, comedian Nam Hee-suk, and I were traveling back and forth between the Grand National Party and Democratic Party to meet with then candidates Lee Hoe-chang and Roh Moo-hyun on a ballot-counting program for SBS,” she said. “When Roh Moo-hyun was elected president, I gave him a Hahoe mask as a gift with Han Sun-kyo, now a GNP lawmaker. So why am I the only ‘leftist’? In the end, there was an absurd situation where I had to get a written confirmation from the SBS president stating that it was ‘produced according to the determinations of SBS, not Kim Mi-hwa the individual.’”

After ending her press conference, Kim immediately reported to Yeongdeungpo Police Station, where she was questioned for just over five hours.

• 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기
  • 구글플러스로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

회원로그인

[부고]노길남 박사
노길남 박사 추모관
조선문학예술
조선중앙TV
추천홈페이지
우리민족끼리